[Nut-upsuser] ISE review of I-D: deprecate command VER?

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Mar 20 20:02:30 GMT 2022

<roger at rogerprice.org> wrote:
> >I received the following comment from the Independent Submissions
Editor (ISE):
> >  The command VER is hazardous because it encourages exploiting of
> >  implementation peculiarities that are not well documented in a
> >  protocol.  The best example of such a failure is the browser version
> >  field in HTTP.  A complete disaster.  You should warn against use of
> >  this command, or even better, deprecate it.
> >
> >I was not aware of the disaster in the browser version field, but I
> >will warn against use of VER, and deprecate it, if you agree.
> >
> >Roger
>
> Hello
>
> I do not know of anyone calling the situation of browsers  "a
> disaster". It's true, the version field can be and is used - together
> with other data that the browser sends (!!!) - to create an almost
> unique signature of the user. But OTOH it is used to adapt the looks
> of the site to the capabilities of the browser because , well, no two
> browsers behave 100% the same and site developers try to make sites
> that look as bright and shiny as possible in the eyes of the users .
> For a start, that's how the desktop and mobile versions of
> dynamic/responsive sites differentiate the clients and adapt
> themselves to present the best look and feel to clients.
>
> Leaving that aside, I see no issues in warning users about the
> potential nefarious uses of any command. In this particular case I'd
> also add a reference to restricting the communication between nut
> servers and clients to the smallest possible subset of devices (by
> using dedicated VLANs, firewalls etc) and ask them to reread the
> security section.
>
> wolfy

Even better, hide your local network by getting a good router, reflashing
it to something like dd-wrt or its ilk, and using it to NAT your local
net somewhere in the 192.168.xxx.yyy address space but which is not
transmitted thru a router without coming under the control of the NAT in
the router. All your stuff behind such a router is invisible to the black
hats, making all your machines at least 1000 times more secure unless you
leave the router passwd at its default, in which case you'll be powned by
10 seconds after its powered up and the modem cable plugged into it.

Take care and stay well everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis