[Nut-upsuser] A new step in NUT community building - signing up for fiscal hosting!

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 14:43:00 GMT 2023

Hello all,

  For decades, the NUT project ran without any formal entity or a "money
purse" of its own. This proved to be a somewhat limiting factor, since paid
services like DNS have to be covered by maintainers (as in ancient times,
when city celebrations were paid by randomly elected officials personally),
and some other services like hosting for the NUT CI farm have to be
solicited "Please let us crash here for free, until we can thank you back!"
In fact, over time some sponsorships were proposed here and there, but
without a legal entity to talk to, corporations could not help much.

  So to cut it short, the Network UPS Tools project has now signed up with
Open Source Collective as a fiscal host (it is a US non-profit
organization, although not a charity of tax-deductible sort), and we are
setting up a GitHub Sponsors integration as well.

  Feel welcome to eventually review the goals or chip in at:
* https://opencollective.com/networkupstools
* https://github.com/sponsors/networkupstools

  As always, practical help is also welcome - whether with our
neigh-infinite backlog of great ideas to improve, generalize and
de-duplicate code, or with new features and integrations, or with
driver/protocol updates, or with making documentation friendlier to
newcomers - you name it!

On behalf of NUT maintainers,
Jim Klimov