[Nut-upsuser] Question about Tripp-Lite UPS life span

Larry Fahnoe fahnoe at fahnoetech.com
Mon Feb 6 23:12:55 GMT 2023

Hello,

Somewhat off-topic, but seeking some input from other tech folk on this list. I have a Tripp-Lite SMART 2200 (a white tower that looks similar to, but predates the black SMART2200NET) that just failed its monthly battery test so I bought new batteries and replaced the old ones. Sadly once put back together, plugged in and enabled it did not power up--no lights, sounds, smoke, etc. I took everything apart again checking for blown fuses, loose connections, anything visually obvious, but found nothing. The old batteries measured 12.x volts each and the new batteries measured 13.x so I don't think I got a bad battery. I replaced with the same batteries I'd used in the past: Duracell SLADC12-35J Deep Cycle AGM SLA 12V 35AH; the last set lasted 7 years. Tripp-Lite considers these batteries to be non-user replaceable, likely because they're bolt on and opening the case is a bit of a chore. It's a well built unit though.

The UPS has a system enable switch on the back and a momentary on/off switch on the front. I plugged it in to the wall, turned the enable switch on, and then pressed the front on/off switch. Nothing. I also tried holding the momentary switch in for 5 and 10 seconds. Nothing from pressing the alarm silence switch or holding both switches in. Breaker in back has not popped. No other obvious switches inside or out.

I called Tripp-Lite support and the best that they could offer was that the UPS died, maybe as a result of replacing the batteries. Tech was polite, saying unit lasted a long time, but technically this doesn't really seem a reasonable explanation (to me at least). Sure things fail with age, sometimes silently, but I'd expect to see some evidence as to what failed. I'm bugged as my gut says it needs to be reset somehow, but service manuals are unavailable and the UPS might have been older than the tech.

UPS unit:
Model SMART2200
Model # SM1834
Date code -LW1GE (Nov 1998)
Serial number E00321344

So, any opinions about how long one should expect a UPS like this to last or any words of wisdom on how to revive this one?

--Larry

Larry Fahnoe, Fahnoe Technology Consulting, fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com
           Minneapolis, Minnesota       www.FahnoeTech.com