[Nut-upsuser] Monitoring a remote UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 14:17:01 BST 2023

On Jun 9, 2023, at 5:25 AM, Nichole Kaligian via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Every guide I'm finding is connecting their NUT server to the UPS directly. Is there no option to monitor a network-attached UPS? On its IP or hostname? This was my first assumption when looking at a product called 'Network UPS Tools', but it seems I'm misunderstanding? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

TBH those guides exist because the most common small UPS models don't have network connections, and therefore you need additional software like NUT to serve power status over the network. Without knowing your UPS model or system version, I'm still going to hazard a guess that the vendor of your network-connected UPS provides a network-based shutdown solution for you already, and many people are going to opt for that direct approach (rather than inserting NUT in the middle).

There are a few drivers for network-connected UPS models, and the correct driver depends on the protocol that the UPS uses. Probably the most common network UPS protocol is SNMP: https://networkupstools.org/docs/man/snmp-ups.html but there is also a driver for Eaton's XML/HTTP protocol: https://networkupstools.org/docs/man/netxml-ups.html (see NUT FAQ #43 https://networkupstools.org/docs/FAQ.html )

You can find out whether your UPS is well-supported by filtering on "Connection=Network" on the Hardware Compatibility List: https://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html?connection=Network (note that while some UPSes may use SNMP, information can still be in vendor-proprietary extensions, and therefore not immediately accessible to the generic SNMP driver)

- Charles