[Nut-upsuser] NUT 'upsstats' Battery Meter Question

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 08:06:30 GMT 2023

Hello Jeff,

  `upsstats` by itself only relays and renders the information provided by
a NUT data server (upsd) and the NUT driver for the device. So you can
revise the specific reported values with e.g. `upsc` command-line client to
be sure.

  What I think happens here is that the driver uses a
`battery.voltage.low/nominal/high` group of readings which does not match
the hardware circumstances well for some reason. These readings can be
provided by a device (and then a 3x12=36V nominal would be reasonable), it
can be imposed in your driver configuration with
`override.battery.voltage.... = ...` lines, and in some but not all drivers
the ranges can be guessed from other information served by the device, as a
fallback.

  Use of overrides is fairly popular, so check if that would help you (and
that you don't have it misleadingly misconfigured already by copy-paste of
an `ups.conf` device section from the internet).

  While at it, check the manual pages for the driver you use - if it
supports a `runtimecal` option. It often comes up in this context, to give
the driver a better grasp at battery discharge dynamics so it can issue the
critical-situation alarms at power loss if the device/protocol lacks the
ability on its own.

Hope this helps,
Jim Klimov

Jim