[Nut-upsuser] Spammy notification-tech diagnostic message

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 15:22:07 GMT 2023

Thanks for your concern.

Technically, it is not about just systemd - other systems where launched
processes that have ways to interact with some OS framework (like SMF,
upstart, Windows services, docker/kubernetes, whatever) *and* such
framework offers ways for services to inform they have started and e.g.
dependencies can begin starting, with better precision than "we have forked
off an init script and assume that this instant its service is fully ready".

One bit that worries me in your report is "I am repeatedly getting these
messages in my *syslog*" - does it mean you get them more often than once
per uptime of each daemon (upsd, upsmon, driver)? Or that you reboot so
often that the "noise" gets your eyes sore? :)

I did initially have the opposite feedback in the beginning, about not
having those notifications working and services set up for
notification-based integration getting restarted by their OS framework
because their startup allegedly timed out.

I think this sort of behaviors with OS-dependent variations was supposed to
become managed by envvars (e.g. offering a toggle to not make noise easy to
set in packaged init-scripts etc.) but it seems that for this particular
case one was not merged. Something similar was discussed about NUT daemon
banner and a few other lines emitted at startup, which some people see as
important post-mortem tool when inspecting logs or console dumps, and
others treat as noise ("unless there's an error, I want to see nothing") -
and frankly both stances have their merits for different audiences.

Jim Klimov