[Nut-upsuser] HP R3000XR high reactive power (capacitive)

Marek Michałkiewicz marekm at amelek.net
Wed Sep 20 19:40:20 BST 2023

The UPS from 2004 still works fine otherwise (and I can monitor it with
NUT using the "bcmxcp" driver, see below).
BTW, still looking for a firmware update - SP54628.EXE is not available
anywhere, even though its SHA256 is known.
But, with or without load on the outputs, the UPS itself draws about 500
VAr of capacitive reactive power from the mains.
Has anyone else seen this?  Is this normal for these units, or just my
unit faulty in some way?
You can see it as input current (3.6A) larger than output current
(2.7A), at no load these readings are 2.2A and 0.0A.
But there is no high power loss, nothing is smoking etc. it's just a
large phase shift between voltage and current.
Reactive power is not charged here most of the time, but the utility
company reserves the right to do so if there is too much, especially
capacitive (inductive they seem to like better).
The allowed limits are tan(phi)=Q/P in the range from 0 to 0.4 where P
is active power in W (+ consumed, - produced) and Q is reactive power in
VAr (+ inductive, - capacitive).
Yes, the meter here is bi-directional (and remotely read by the utility)
as I have a small on-grid PV power plant here, to help reduce
electricity bills.
Another older UPS (Liebert GXT2-3KRT230E) had higher power loss (lower
efficiency), but its power factor was purely resistive.

$ upsc r3000xr at localhost
Init SSL without certificate database
ambient.temperature:   33.5
ambient.temperature.high: 55