[Nut-upsuser] NUT and Eaton UPS produce a lot of error messages

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 09:54:21 GMT 2024

With recent NUT releases, driver disconnections should be contained in its
own `nut-driver at eaton` instance (the `@upsname` part is derived from the
`ups.conf` section name). One of the drivers failing and restarting is not
a proper cause for the data server to recycle.

Also, nowadays some (maybe not all) USB-capable drivers should try to
reconnect without restarting. Note however, that in some NUT iterations it
is possible that this feature misfires if the devices get re-enumerated and
the driver tries to reuse results of original libusb discovery (e.g. some
kernels add +1 to "device" number upon each reconnection, such as due to
USB chip/hub reset, EMI causing protocol reset, or a device going to sleep
and yanked back to work).

In fact, recent work on master branch got `nut-scanner` to not suggest the
`device` option by default to avoid such situations.

Jim