[Nut-upsuser] [Nut-upsdev] RFE to extend "LISTEN" directive to support host-colon-port (as single token)

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed May 1 01:10:53 BST 2024

Tim Dawson <tadawson at tpcsvc.com> writes:

> LISTEN 1.2.3.4 2.3.4.5 987
>
> is a mess . . . You either need to specify the default port number, or

agreed that this method is a mess!

But we have "just use multiple listen statements" which is
straightforward.

I am not really averse to having a format that is a more familiar idiom.
What I don't like is having two ways to do it over the long term, so I'd
want one to be deprecated and throw a warning and have a grace period.
Then the quesion is if making everybody change over those perhaps 2
years is worth the gain in clarity for the other people over the
indefinite glorious future.  That's a tough case to make either way.

Before doing this, I'd want to see a survey of the config grammers of
many other daemons to find out what is really common.

As an example, postfix lets you specify interfaces to listen on, and
then has ports in a different file.   So you can't have arbitrary
addr/port pairs; you have a list of addrs and a list of ports and you
get the crossproduct, it seems.   And then check out nginx:

        listen          443 ssl;
        listen          [::]:443 ssl;

which is spectacular in its implicit INADDR_ANY and : while having it
manifest for v6.