[Nut-upsuser] Supporting a DIY UPS with minimal effort but maximum gain

Kelly Byrd kbyrd at memcpy.com
Thu May 16 02:11:58 BST 2024

I put together my own DIY UPS,  it's a RV charger/converter, an inverter,
and some batteries. I use an Arduino and the HIDPowerDevice library (
https://github.com/abratchik/HIDPowerDevice) to get it to talk to NUT. Been
working great for months!

The Arduino is connected to two modules:
* AC detection circuit to measure mains power on/off
* Voltage divider and an external ADC to get a reasonably good DC voltage
level for the battery which I turn into the a charge percentage.

This uses the USBHID driver in NUT and "just works" as long as you're using
NUT 2.8.2 or later. I used the example code in the HIDPowerDevice library
as a starting point for running on my Arduino.

I can share more specifics about the Arduino side of things off list if you
want, the NUT side of things is pretty boring and normal.