Moved Messages Marked as Unread

Eli L. eli at siliconsprawl.com
Sun Nov 29 05:29:10 GMT 2009

I recently changed my email service from Tuffmail to Gmail and am now getting
some odd behavior.

If I:
    - get a message in the inbox
    - open it
    - sync with offlineimap
    - move it to a folder
    - sync with offlineimap
Then everything shows up correctly in Gmail; the message is marked as read and
moved to the appropriate folder.

However, if I:
    - get a message in the inbox
    - open it
    - move it to a folder
    - sync with offlineimap
Then it shows up incorrectly in Gmail; the message is marked as *unread* and is
moved to the appropriate folder.  On the next offlineimap sync it will propagate
back and show up as unread in the client.

Since I never had this issue with my last email service, I'm assuming it has to
do with Gmail's (somewhat quirky) tag-based IMAP implementation.  I was hoping
to confirm that this is the cause before I start working on a fix.

So, has anyone else seen this kind of behavior, and, if so, what IMAP server was
being used?

--
-Eli