syncing flags to/from dovecot servers

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Mon Oct 26 18:43:32 UTC 2009

Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> writes:

>> I've just started using offlineimap, and am using it to sync some IMAP
>> folders, both on servers running dovecot.  It seems that offlineimap
>> often doesn't notice when custom flags on messages have changed, and I'm
>> trying to determine whether this is misconfiguration, a dovecot problem,
>> or an offlineimap problem.
>
> Could offlineimap be doing "quick" syncs for some reason?  I'm not using
> autorefresh and I have quick = 0 in my .offlineimaprc.  And I'm not
> using -q on the command line.
>
> Any ideas?  Should I enable some debug settings?

I just downloaded and tried offlineimap 6.2.0, and am having similar
problems.  Most of the time, custom flags from my local IMAP server are
transferred to the remote server, but sometimes they aren't.  And the
custom flags on the remote server are never copied to the local server.

My mail client (Gnus) uses a gnus-expire flag to mark articles as
eligible for deletion.  Here's what the remote IMAP server says:

jdc at jdc:~$ telnet localhost 11143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND
UNSELECT LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS UIDPLUS
LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.
. LOGIN jdc XXXXXXXXXX
. OK Logged in.
. SELECT test
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft gnus-expire
gnus-forward)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft
gnus-expire gnus-forward \*)] Flags permitted.
* 1 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1254248544] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 1928] Predicted next UID
. OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
. FETCH 1 flags
* 1 FETCH (FLAGS (\Seen gnus-expire))
. OK Fetch completed.

That gnus-expire flag is not copied by offlineimap to my local server.

Can anyone confirm whether custom flags are supposed to work?

Thanks,

Dan