"need more than one value to unpack" error

Shankar Gopalakrishnan shankargopal at myfastmail.com
Thu Apr 15 07:39:53 UTC 2010

Hi,

Thanks for a great program.  I've been using offlineimap for the last two
years and am currently using version 6.2.0, running on a Puppy Linux system
and sync'ing between Gmail and a local Dovecot IMAP server.  Things were
running fine until two days ago, when offlineimap started crashing on every
instance with the following error messages:

Thread 'Account sync Gmail-New' terminated with exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/root/Software/offlineimap/offlineimap/threadutil.py", line 149, in
run
    Thread.run(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/threading.py", line 446, in run
    self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
  File "/root/Software/offlineimap/offlineimap/accounts.py", line 188, in
syncrunner
    self.sync(siglistener)
  File "/root/Software/offlineimap/offlineimap/accounts.py", line 220, in
sync
    remoterepos.syncfoldersto(localrepos, [statusrepos])
  File "/root/Software/offlineimap/offlineimap/repository/Base.py", line
136, in syncfoldersto
    destfolders = dest.getfolders()
  File "/root/Software/offlineimap/offlineimap/repository/IMAP.py", line
239, in getfolders
    self.accountname, self))
  File "/root/Software/offlineimap/offlineimap/folder/UIDMaps.py", line 226,
in __init__
    self._initmapping()
  File "/root/Software/offlineimap/offlineimap/folder/UIDMaps.py", line 29,
in _initmapping
    (self.diskr2l, self.diskl2r) = self._loadmaps()
  File "/root/Software/offlineimap/offlineimap/folder/UIDMaps.py", line 50,
in _loadmaps
    (str1, str2) = line.split(':')
ValueError: need more than 1 value to unpack

What does this error mean?  I presume I could fix it by wiping the local
status directories and starting all over again, but that would mean
re-sync'ing thousands of messages on a very slow connection (which would
take 24 hours or more).

Thanks a lot,
Shankar Gopalakrishnan