Imap synchronisation failure with READ-ONLY status

Arnaud Giersch arnaud.giersch at free.fr
Mon Aug 16 07:51:59 BST 2010

Jeudi 12 août 2010, vers 18:52:00 (+0200), David Soulayrol a écrit :

> This happens on the imap server from the free.fr domain. I have taken
> a capture with IMAP logs (expunged here for clarity), and my problem
> occurs here:
[...]
>  DEBUG[imap]:   25:20.25 > JMMH37 UID STORE 247650 +FLAGS (\Seen)
>  DEBUG[imap]:   25:20.27 < JMMH37 NO mailbox selected READ-ONLY
>  DEBUG[imap]:   25:20.27 NO response: mailbox selected READ-ONLY

Hi,

I came across the same problem when I tried to used offlineimap a while
ago.  AFAICT, it is a bug in the server used by free.fr.  A minimal
sequence of imap commands showing the problem seems to be:

Q1 LOGIN login "password"
Q2 SELECT INBOX
Q3 EXAMINE INBOX
Q4 SELECT INBOX
Q5 FETCH 1:1 (FLAGS UID)
Q6 UID STORE 22161 +FLAGS (\Seen)

Offlineimap is not the only affected tool.  Gnus is another example.  A
possible workaround is to insert an UNSELECT command between the EXAMINE
at Q3 and the SELECT at Q4.

Regards,

        Arnaud