Threading and locking

Wed Dec 1 09:15:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:22:49 +0100, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> two accounts to the same Maildir cannot work, as dicussed here recently
> (check where offlineimap stores the UID)

Yep, that is good to know, but we currently don't protect against
that. A user can easily configure the same Maildir OR the same IMAP
account in multiple "Accounts" and they are run simultanously.

So, warning the user in that case would be good anyway. But a user can
easily chose to sync one IMAP account to multiple places (say a local
Maildir and another IMAP account), and the result would currently be
subject to race conditions.

> I'm syncing multiple accounts in parallel.  I know one other guy
> who does it, too.  I don't mind if you change -1 to not use threads,
> but please don't break or slow down multiple account sync.

Thanks for the replies indicating that this is indeed an often-used
feature. I will make sure that I don't break it in multi-threading mode
then.