Using OfflineIMAP with Exchange when folders have a foward slash in the name

Thu Dec 9 22:51:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 15:46:15 -0500, "Amul Shah" <amul at amulz.com> wrote:
> Sebastian,
> Thanks for the asking me to use the debug mode.

You are welcome, this is the least I can do.

> My initial description of the problem is poorly worded.  I should have
> said offlineimap does not see the folders with forward slashes in the
> name.  If offlineimap sees the folder, it downloads everything as
> expected.  Now we know that offlineimap didn't see the folder because
> the MS Exchange IMAP server did not show it.

Well, if the exchange IMAP server does not list the folders, there is
indeed very little we can do about it.

Having looked a bit more in the spec, it seems that forward slashes are
indeed allowed as part of mailbox names, brrr.

Perhaps we should collect that tidbit in some type of FAQ to prevent
future users from becoming confused by this behavior. Amul, may I ask
which exchange server version this is?