About distribution maintainers ([ANNOUNCE] OfflineIMAP v6.3.0 released)

Johannes Stezenbach js at sig21.net
Tue Dec 14 20:23:15 UTC 2010

Hi Nicholas,

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 07:58:38PM +0100, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:46:51AM +1100, John Ferlito wrote:
>
> > So we actually need to move quickly on something. Alexander
> > Reichle-Schmehl pointed out to me that offlineimap is about to be
> > pulled from debian due to a *grave* bug.

> > offlineimap: fails check the remote servers ssl certificate is valid
>
> This is a really, really, really sad story.
>
> First, because this issue is known for ages and because of a user
> raising this issue on the debian bugtracker, debian maintainers want an
> immediate fix. This is irrational.
>
> Second, because NOBODY from debian (until you, but I'm not even sure you
> are a debian maintainer) gave any feedback on this problem. I've seen a
> patch at the bug issue we weren't aware of. Sad.

The Debian package used to be maintained by John Goerzen, and I'm sure John
told himself about the Debian bugs :-)
IOW, the Debian package was orphaned along with upstream offlineimap.

And the urgency is due to the pending release of Debian Squeeze:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/12/msg00002.html

Dut of course this urgency only exists for Debian users and developers,
feel free to ignore it.  But I'm sure other distributions have similar
bugs pending but are not yet aware that offlineimap has a new
maintainer which want to be notified.

Johannes