About distribution maintainers ([ANNOUNCE] OfflineIMAP v6.3.0 released)

John Ferlito johnf at inodes.org
Tue Dec 14 22:36:45 GMT 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 07:58:38PM +0100, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:46:51AM +1100, John Ferlito wrote:
>
> > Debian directory can go. The debian branch is up to you. I'll be
> > basically forking in github and using the debian branch to do debian
> > work. So if you want to merge my changes back for redundancy purposes
> > then it might be a good idea to keep it.
>
> I'm fine with this. Let's give it a try for some releases. If things go
> the right way, I'll add you as the official maintainer in the
> documentation. Could you give me your public fork address?

git://github.com/johnf/offlineimap.git

> Please, don't hesitate to remind me back to merge your updates when
> you're done.

Will do.

> > So we actually need to move quickly on something. Alexander
> > Reichle-Schmehl pointed out to me that offlineimap is about to be
> > pulled from debian due to a *grave* bug.

> > offlineimap: fails check the remote servers ssl certificate is valid
>
> This is a really, really, really sad story.
>
> First, because this issue is known for ages and because of a user
> raising this issue on the debian bugtracker, debian maintainers want an
> immediate fix. This is irrational.
>
> Second, because NOBODY from debian (until you, but I'm not even sure you
> are a debian maintainer) gave any feedback on this problem. I've seen a
> patch at the bug issue we weren't aware of. Sad.

As mentioned in another email the debian maintainer was upstream :).
John put the package up for adoption a while back and I put in an
Intent to Adopt a while back. Now that things have taken off again and
that there has been a release I'll work on getting a new release into
debian.

I'll also try and spend some time pushing all the debian bugs into the
upstream bug tracker.

Cheers,
John

--