Seeing the header of a particular IMAP Id

Shankar Gopalakrishnan shankargopal at myfastmail.com
Thu Feb 25 07:05:05 GMT 2010

I have had the same issue.  I don't know how to get offlineimap to get
headers only, but if you have openssl - as you probably do on most
distros - use the following command:

openssl s_client -connect imap.gmail.com:993 -crlf

at the command line to connect directly to the gmail IMAP server

Then use standard IMAP commands - LOGIN, SELECT and FETCH - to get the
headers of the message you need.  For reference on IMAP commands, see
(as one example):

http://bobpeers.com/technical/telnet_imap.php

The UID of the message should be the number that offlineimap shows when
it is getting stuck.

However, I should note that I've had problems retrieving message
headers with Gmail using this technique recently - it just returns "OK
Success" instead of the headers.  Not sure why this is happening.  In
those circumstances I have simply been looking at the last message
downloaded through my client, and then using Gmail's web interface to
look at the next two or three messages in the account.  One of them
will usually have a very large attachment.