Offlineimap is dead, long live offlineimap?

Tim Gray lists+offimap at protozoic.com
Thu May 20 13:33:55 BST 2010

On May 17, 2010 at 12:02 PM +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> 2. Should we move on to another (compiled) language to make maintenance
> easier?

While I'm not planning on contributing since I only have minor programming
skills, I see two problems with a rewrite in another language.  First, it's
a rewrite.  That's all good and fine if the rewrite actually gets finished,
but if it doesn't, you don't end up with anything.  Offlineimap is a
reasonably mature project that works and has a lot of bugs already removed.
I'd think twice about throwing that away.

Secondly, moving to a different language.  Python has good documentation and
is widely used.  If you are going to rewrite, do it in C.  At least then you
potentially pick up some speed and you can tap into a good base of C
programmers.  A move to any other scripting language is just a move sideways
in my mind, at best.  Python, Ruby, and Perl seem to me to be the front
runners in scripting languages and come preinstalled with a lot of systems
and have a good selection of libraries.  While any of the three are good
candidates, it's already in Python, so why change?  Other languages are more
obscure and I don't see what they really offer.