High CPU usage on large gmail attachments

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 23:31:48 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 21:40 +0200, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 03:59:22PM +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> >
> > I run offlineimap as a cron job (actually a script which checks whether
> > offlineimap is running, if its not it starts it, every 5 minutes).
> >
> > Recently (6.0.2+nmu) I've noticed that downloading emails with large
> > attachments from gmail tends to make offlineimap consume 100% CPU (50%
> > since I'm dual-core). This could be related with an update to python 2.7
> > here (rather than python 2.6 previously).
> >
> > Anyone experiencing the same? Any suggestions on debugging?
>
> Do you mean 6.0.2+nmu or 6.2.0?  Try latest version.
>
> Maybe you could try the profile option (-P).  To extract
> useful information from the profile data you need to use
> the pstats module.
> http://docs.python.org/library/profile.html#instant-user-s-manual
>
> HTH
> Johannes
Hi Johannes,

Apologies, yes its 6.2.0.2. 6.2.0 seemed to work better, but that could
also be an issue with python version (as I mentioned).

I'll try to get a reliable test-case from my email (currently
re-downloading an email from 3 years back which downloaded fine
previously just hangs the whole thing).

Another interesting thing is that some emails which cause the 100% CPU
hang will download okay the next round, but some just can't after
multiple tries.