offlineimap hangs when connecting to the server

Thaddeus Morgan thaddeus.morgan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 19:45:06 BST 2010

I just started fiddling with offlineimap in an attempt to switch from
pine to mutt. Unfortunately, offlineimap just hangs when trying to
connect to
the server. The problem is almost certainly how I've configured it.
I've attached the configuration file (offlineimaprc). Running
offlineimap with this configuration file results in:

OfflineIMAP 6.2.0
Copyright (C) 2002 - 2009 John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org>
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see the file
COPYING for details.  This is free software, and you are welcome
to distribute it under the conditions laid out in COPYING.
Account sync GP:
  ***** Processing account GP
Account sync GP:
  Copying folder structure from IMAP to Maildir
Account sync GP:
  Establishing connection to tunnel:ssh gp /usr/sbin/imapd.

My ~/.ssh/config file has an entry for gp that specifies the use of
PubkeyAuthentication. I know this works because it's how I normally
login to the server. Furthermore, I can successfully use the same SSH
tunnel with
mutt by including it as part of an account-hook in my ~/.mutt/muttrc
file:

set tunnel = "ssh gp /usr/sbin/imapd"

Finally, from a local terminal, ssh ml /usr/sbin/imapd allows direct
fiddling with the IMAP protocol, as expected:

tm at local:~$ ssh gp /usr/sbin/imapd
* PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LITERAL+ IDLE NAMESPACE
MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY UNSELECT SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] Pre-authenticated user tm
gp.foo.bar IMAP4rev1 2004.357 at Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:08:42 -0400 (EDT)

Any suggestions on how I can get offlineimap working? Anyone have any
.offlineimaprc files they can share?

Thanks,
TM