[RELEASE DRAFT] Re: Going on v6.3.4

Mon Aug 8 13:37:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:06:13 -0700, Marc MERLIN <marc at merlins.org> wrote:

> Also, would it be possible for the code to issue the IMAP ID command after
> login to help catalog users and debug problems from the server side if any?

Hi, I really want to get the current code out, so I wouldn't recommend
new features before any release either.

I don't see much value in issueing an ID command on each login, or is
there any?  However, would you agree that the ID command would make most
sense in the hopefully-to-be-integrated diagnostics mode so we can
output more information about the server? That would IMHO make
sense. It could also make sense to issue this when we run offlineimap in
debug mode. I'll track this as http://trac.sspaeth.de/issue28

Such simple commands can be issued with the current imaplib2 just fine,
I think. There's something called "xatom" or somesuch that lets us issue
simple commands. A patch to support this command properly should be
going into imaplib2 though, if we are supposed to use this, I guess.