Locally created mailboxes not synchronized to IMAP

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Wed Aug 10 16:41:54 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 10:07:55AM +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:

> nametrans is the tougher one. It is 1-way fudging of names and as you
> remark you would need a corresponding "nametrans" setting on the local
> repository that reverses names exactly. Given the difficulties of
> setting up correct nametrans rules (often including horrible regexes),
> it will be *very* difficult to find the exact reverse functions. I would
> be more comfortable to have something like this after we introduce a
> "--dryrun" option that allows to see what offlineimap would do when it
> would actually be run.

I guess nametrans is usefull for simple name fixes for most people, ie

- INBOX.INBOX.myfolder -> INBOX.myfolder
or
- INBOX.myfolder -> myfolder

I think we could introduce a new option doing 1:1 translation, easy to
reverse and not exposing regexp to users for things like that. Then,
mark nametrans as DEPRECATED to make most users switch to this new
option.

I'm not asking to remove nametrans but make offlineimap configuration
easier and more secure for the mortals.