Backup Strategy for OfflineIMAP

Tue Aug 16 10:40:12 UTC 2011

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 08:56:10 +0000 (UTC), Al Haraka <alharaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now, I have a work account.  I am dangerously close to hitting quota.
> I want to keep all the mail as it currently is on the local end, and clear out
> my mail on the IMAP server, my remote repo.  How do you guys go about this?

Move all mail to be archived into an "archive" folder (Sorry I failed to
get your exact mail setup), sync. Exclude "archive" from syncing with a
"folderfilter" directive and clean up the server side?

I feel that we should be checking if a Mailfolder has the read-only flag
set and skip syncing of that one automatically. That would help many
cases like this.

> Follow up question: I can I push that mail from my local copy to a
> totally different remote repo, an IMAP server with far larger quota
> capacity, by opting for a one-way sync from the local *to* the remote?
> Any thoughts on this.

Yes, you can do that, *if* the folders on the remote side
exist. OfflineImap will currently not create folders on the remote
side. It should be as simple then as dropping your maildir in place and
it should upload everything. (do this with a copy of your maildir to
keep the backup)