Backup Strategy for OfflineIMAP

Tim Gray lists+offimap at protozoic.com
Tue Aug 16 17:59:34 UTC 2011

On Aug 16, 2011 at 08:56 AM +0000, Al Haraka wrote:
>Now, I have a work account.  I am dangerously close to hitting quota.
>I want to keep all the mail as it currently is on the local end, and clear out
>my mail on the IMAP server, my remote repo.  How do you guys go about this?

I do something similar.  I have a bunch of emails that I don't want on
my IMAP accounts.  My maildir folder structure (which lives in ~/mail)
has an IMAP side which is synced with offlineimap (ex. ~/mail/imap) and
a non-synced side (ex. ~/mail/local).  I use mutt as my mail program.
When email comes in through the imap account that I no longer want to
keep online, I just move it to one of the local folders in mutt.

As an added bonus, I can populate the local folders with mail retrieved
by fetchmail or getmail from other accounts or specific IMAP folders
which are not synced through offlineimap.  Just feed this mail into
procmail or another filtering program and send it to the appropriate
local folder.  This let's me keep my many mailing lists out of my IMAP
inbox and bypasses syncing them through offlineimap.