"Invalid internal date"

Sebastian Spaeth Sebastian at sspaeth.de
Sun Aug 14 09:20:37 BST 2011

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:34:28 -0400, Dave Abrahams <dave at boostpro.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at sspaeth.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:09:42 -0400, Dave Abrahams <dave at boostpro.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I'm getting this failure.  Anything we can do about that?
> >> TIA,
> >> Dave
> >
> > One Message from the Gmail server produces an invalid INTERNALDATE that
> > is being handed to the dovecot instance. Produce an -d imap -l debug.log
> > to log the IMAP communication and see what is being handed in as date.
>
> The coffee shop I'm presently sitting in seems to be blocking my
> connection to gmail's imap server, but I have a -d ALL dump from which
> I've extracted all the DEBUG[imap] lines timestamped around the
> error's appearance:  https://gist.github.com/1142294
>
> Does this help?

Copy message 72916 IMAP[[Gmail]/All Mail] -> MappedIMAP[[Gmail].All
Mail]:

error: APPEND command error: BAD ['Invalid internal date.']. Data: JEPB71 APPEND "[Gmail].All Mail" (\Seen) "09-Sep-2007 -6:33:06 -0500" {3721}\r\n

That date looks very much bogus to me. However, I have no idea where
that date is coming from, it's probably part of the email headers of
that message.