Server responded with 'NO'

Mon Aug 15 09:58:00 BST 2011

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:29:25 -0400, Dave Abrahams <dave at boostpro.com> wrote:
> imap.gmail.com handler: DEBUG[imap]:   15:52.46 imap.gmail.com handler NO response: Some messages could not be FETCHed (Failure)
> Copy message 71049 from [Gmail]/All Mail: WARNING: ERROR attempting to copy message 71049 for account BoostPro:Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/offlineimap/folder/Base.py", line 250, in copymessageto
>     message = self.getmessage(uid)
>   File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/offlineimap/folder/IMAP.py", line 215, in getmessage
>     raise OfflineImapError(reason, severity)
> OfflineImapError: IMAP server 'BoostProRemote' responded with 'NO' to fetching message UID '71049'
>
> Oddly, when I run with imap debugging logged to a file, offlineimap
> continues after the error, but if I simply invoke "offlineimap," this
> failure causes offlineimap to stop/exit/crash.

Thanks for the log. You get a "NO Some messages could not be fetched"
From the Gmail server, which is a mysterious message on their end that
they refuse to send you one of your messages. Not much we can do about
this.

But our behavior is buggy and your log and report helped me to find some
bugs on our end. Skipping single message failures worked in
single-thread mode (which is turned on using debug) but not in the
normal multi-threaded mode.

This is because I was catching exceptions of newly started threads, but
python doesn't bubble exceptions up to the parent thread, it immediately
aborts! The following patches fix this behavior and simply skip the
failing message (logging an error).

I recommend applying those patches as this makes skipping messages work
correctly.