Pre-sync

Wed Aug 17 14:28:32 BST 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:55:58 -0400, Dave Abrahams <dave at boostpro.com> wrote:
> >> I had about 200K messages to sync, and offlineimap was taking a while,
> >> so I used another method to get the local imap folders initialized.
> >> Unfortunately, when I fired up offlineimap again, it simply picked up
> >> where it left off.  Is there a way to get it to recognize that I've
> >> pre-synced this stuff?
> >
> > The filenames need to fit, so that offlineimap recognizes the mails as
> > existing. Especially the FMD5= and UID= parts need to exist and be
> > valid.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to reply, but even if I knew what files you
> were referring to, that doesn't really answer my question.  Is there a
> way?  And if so, what is it?

*sigh* :)

a) you "initialized" your maildir folder. I assume this means you copied
a local maildir folder in place. It probably will look like this:
topdir/INBOX/cur
topdir/INBOX/new
topdir/INBOX/tmp
topdir/INBOX.Sent/cur
topdir/INBOX.Sent/new
topdir/INBOX.Sent/tmp

The files in the cur and new directories are your emails. Mine look like
this:
1309244703_1.29857.spaetzbook,U=40522,FMD5=7e33429f656f1e6e9d79b29c3f82c57e:2,
1309244705_0.29857.spaetzbook,U=40523,FMD5=7e33429f656f1e6e9d79b29c3f82c57e:2,S

You want that offlineimap recognizes your email files and does not sync
them from the REMOTE side. OfflineImap will recognize email files in
your folders as existing if they contain the following:
U=<someUIDnumber>
FMD5=<the folders MD5>
2,([A-Z]+) (the maildir flags, although it would just sync the flags if
they are wrong.)

So the emails in your local maildir need to contain at least the U= and
FMD5= parts, if you want to avoid syncing them from the REMOTE side.

If you do not know the IMAP UIDs I don't see a way around resyncing the
whole shebang. (In the long run I would love to have a "reconstruct
folders by looking at their content" mode)