ImportError: No module named offlineimap

Thomas Boehm t_boehm at expires-2011-12-31.arcornews.de
Wed Dec 21 19:07:45 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm trying to install offlineimap 6.4.2 systemwide on my Ubuntu 10.04
LTS system. I followed the instractions by downloading the tar.gz,
extracting it and running "python2.6 setup.py install". It creates the
script /usr/local/bin/offlineimap. When I execute it, I get the error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/offlineimap", line 20, in <module>
    from offlineimap import OfflineImap
ImportError: No module named offlineimap

The script has the following content:
----------------------
# some comments
from offlineimap import OfflineImap

oi = OfflineImap()
oi.run()

When I run the python script
/usr/src/spaetz-offlineimap-5f3ac2c/offlineimap.py directly, everything
works fine.

So what's going wrong here? Can't I just replace the content of
/usr/local/bin/offlineimap with "/path/to/offlineimap.py"?

Thanks for your answers
Thomas