High CPU usage

Myroslav Opyr myroslav at quintagroup.com
Fri Dec 9 09:02:48 GMT 2011

Leonid Evdokimov <leon <at> darkk.net.ru> writes:

> I'm using offlineimap - 6.3.3-3ubuntu1 from stable ubuntu repo and I
> experience high CPU usage (80-100% of one i7 core) during
> synchronization of really huge folder (say 200'000 messages).
>
> Is it known bur and/or is there any workaround for that?
>
> I have following configuration file, if it matters

[skip]

> I've also seen alike bug in ubuntu bugtracker[1], but it has nothing
> common with xrefed debian bug[2] as soon as my connection should be
> rather stable as far as I see.
>
> strace shows nothing really suspicious except constant rewriting of
> /home/darkk/.offlineimap/Account-foobar/LocalStatus/blahblah.yyy-root.tmp
> for, probably, every message - but that's just my best guess.

Hi,

I've been searching for solution either. offlineimap some time ago got sqlite
backend for status database. This drastically reduces amount of data to be
written on every single message sync ;) I managed to reach 152k of messages and
started searching for solution, you managed to reach 200k.

[Account foobar]
status_backend = sqlite

sqlite as backend for status database solved my problems so far and sync started
to run much faster (speed is comparable to empty local repository). I'll make it
running for some time and will start searching for other solutions if necessary.

I'm using offlineimap-6.3.4 at the moment.

Regards,

m.