Return code of offlineimap

Wed Feb 2 10:27:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:10:55 +0000 (UTC), Peter-Alexander Pöltl wrote:
> I got "WARNING: Error occured attempting to sync account Peter.Poeltl: 110" with
> return code 0. Seems return code 0 isn't 100% reliable.

Reading the past archives, it seems that people had complained that
offlineimap aborted on an error rather than e.g. skipping that account
and continuing. So this is what happens now. On an error, a message is
printed out and the next account continues as if nothing had happenend.

This is clearly not optimal, but with the current architecture it seems
nontrivial (but not impossible) to return an error code.

I think, the intended behavior requires discussion. Should we:

 - bail out at the first error we encounter
 - continue with the next folder/account and pretend nothing has
   happened
 - continue with next folder/account and return an error code (which
   error code if we have 2 different errors?)

 - related: should the looping mode bail out on errors or continue to
   retry and on which errors should it do what?