offlineimap daemon (auto-kill and restart)

James Stapley james.stapley at asclme.org
Mon Feb 14 06:56:14 UTC 2011

Hi,

I use a couple of scripts called by Cron, one of which checks for a
running offlineimap process; if it's not there, it restarts (once a
minute).
I've occasionally see offlineimap "lock up" totally; in the interests of
working around this (e.g. in case I'm away from the office for some
time, and AFK for longer), I "hard reset" offlineimap once a day at 7am
by killing the process and restarting it with the other script.

This may not be the most elegant solution, but it seems to work :)

Check if running, if not, restart:

#!/bin/bash
SERVICE='offlineimap'
ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep -v sh | grep -v SCREEN | grep
/usr/bin/$SERVICE > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 1 ]
then
echo "`date` $SERVICE is not running! Panic!" >> /var/log/offlineimapsh.log
# echo "$SERVICE is not running!" | mail -s "$SERVICE down" root
/usr/bin/offlineimap -c /home/discus/.offlineimaprc >>
/var/log/offlineimapsh.log 2>&1
echo "`date` $SERVICE restarted" >> /var/log/offlineimapsh.log
else
echo "`date` eq 0 - $SERVICE is running. Life is peachy." >>
/var/log/offlineimapsh.log
fi

Hard reset:

#!/bin/bash
echo "`date` killing offlineimap" >> /var/log/offlineimaphardreset7amsh.log
/usr/bin/pkill offlineimap 2>&1
echo "`date` offlineimap killed" >> /var/log/offlineimaphardreset7amsh.log
/etc/cron.hourly/offlineimap.sh 2>&1
echo "`date` offlineimap restarted" >>
/var/log/offlineimaphardreset7amsh.log
exit

I use offlineimap to sync the Inboxes of about 8 users between our
in-office mail server and an off-site one (we're at the end of an ADSL
line, which makes life a little painful otherwise); I'm using Ubuntu Server.

Best regards,

James Stapley.