[RELEASE DRAFT 2/2] Re: going on v6.3.2

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Fri Feb 18 17:59:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 08:53:27AM +0100, Thomas Kahle wrote:
> On 19:53 Thu 17 Feb     , Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:

> > +Notes
> > +-----
> > +
> > +We are still touched by the "SSL3 write pending" but I think time was long
> > +enough to try to fix it. We have our first entry in the "KNOWN BUG" section of
> > +the manual about that. I'm afraid it could impact a lot of users if some
> > +distribution package any SSL library not having underlying (still obscure)
> > +requirements. Distribution maintainers should be care of it. I hope this release
> > +will help us to have more reports.
>
> Could you maybe be a little more specific here?  What are the versions
> and flavors of the SSL library that caused the problem / versions that
> work?

I'd like to but I don't know which versions are impacted exactly. It's
not easy to provide this information because of the bug itself beeing
not predicable.

> What is the worst thing that can happen to me if I run into the bug?

Good point. It will leave your account(s) unsynchronised from the time
the bug appeared. Users will have to restart offlineimap. I'll add this
information in the man page.

Also, it may be good to tell what information we need.  Probably
something like:

  "If you hit this bug, please make sure you're using the last stable
   release and send us a report to the mailing list including the full
   log."

Asking for the version of the library could help too, but I don't recall
which one exactly is used.

Thanks for the review, Thomas.