offlineimap daemon (auto-kill and restart)

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Tue Feb 15 18:17:20 GMT 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 03:17:09PM +0100, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:23:32 +0800, Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been thinking about an idea for 'offlineimapd' or something
> > similar, but am not sure if the functionality is planned for offlineimap
> > itself.

<...>

> The proper solution will be to make offlineimap more robust and find out
> where it hangs and why :).

Thanks. I'm happy to read at least one reasonable answer. The _only_
good response to give is to invest for issues as soon as they happen to
fix them in the first place.

Not that I'm against of having a deamon-like feature but if the latter
even existed it would have to _die_ (or provide valuable logs, at least)
if unexpected synchronisation errors occured.

So, here is my call to people using cron/scripts to workaround
OfflineIMAP's weakness: please, try reporting issues, improve logging,
etc.  We don't expect the perfect patch at all. Most reviewers here
would enjoy to help you in this way.

Starting from implementing an agressive logger would be very
appreciated.