tarballs (was: [ANNOUNCE] OfflineIMAP v6.3.1 released)

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Mon Jan 10 17:53:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:34:46AM +0100, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 20:23:11 +0100, Thomas Kahle <tomka at gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > First off: I have 'inherited' the patch from other Gentoo maintainers
> > before me.  Second, I don't have MacOS to do any experiments with this,
> > but from reading the post I think I understand that on MacOS there is a
> > 'CoreFramework' that needs to be loaded before the threads using it are
> > started.  If I understand this correctly this is independent of the fact
> > that offlineimap uses python and can be reproduced in C.
>
> Oh, I am not blaming you for fixing bugs, or inheriting patches....
>
> I just want to understand what a patch does when I don't get it. I see
> how we might be needing to initialize something on Mac if its broken,
> but then we should have something in the code commenting on what it does
> and why it is in there. Otherwise someone in a few years will say, "oh
> we import everything from locale but we never use it, so lets remove
> it".
>
> Also, we should be able to import something more specific rather than
> "*" polluting our default namespace. Importing * would give us functions
> such as normalize(), format(), format_string() in our default namespace.
> It would also override str() and other stuff that could well lead to
> unexpected behavior.

Yes. OfflineIMAP should be OK on Mac. If not, gentoo maintainers may
tell us.

The current maintainer at Gentoo is doing exactly what you describe
before by patching OfflineIMAP with any good reason behind "it is
inherited".

Sadly, we still don't know if the problem comes from OfflineIMAP or
Gentoo...