Offlineimap duplicating email redux

Sebastian Spaeth sebastian at sspaeth.de
Thu Jan 20 15:33:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:21:47 -0500, "Edward Z. Yang" <ezyang at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> Excerpts from Sebastian Spaeth's message of Thu Jan 20 07:00:28 -0500 2011:
> > It would be great to get feedback/testing on that code. Now that I
> > resurrected it, I made a backup of my maildir and will be running it for
> > a while...
>
> I will take a look, but out of curiosity, won't bugs in OfflineIMAP still
> effect the IMAP account you do testing on?  How do you back that up?

They would. That is why I 1) test on a test account that I fill with
fake mails and where I delete/read a bit through the webinterface to
make changes on the IMAP side.

Once I am a bit more certain that there are no grave bugs eating my
mails, I backup my maildir, so I can reupload everything in case it
deletes stuff. The worst thing that could happen is silently throwing
away *some* of my mails without me noticing. That's why I don't run the
test code on my work account, I use the installed last stable
offlineimap for that.

Having a test suite could increase our trust that it behaves well, but I
am still not sure how it should be done best.