www-content, offlineimap.org

Tue Jan 25 09:33:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:44:13 -0500, Philippe LeCavalier <support at plecavalier.com> wrote:
> GOAL: What is OfflineImap?, intended audience, plug author, plug current
> devs(link to current devs section).
>
> ---------------content start---------
> OfflineIMAP is a powerful IMAP/Maildir synchronization tool intended to
> keep your IMAP mailbox(es) organized independently from your Mail User
> Agent(MUA). From Gmail to Mutt, regardless of how or where you access
> your mailbox(es), OfflineIMAP is your best friend like Google is to
> searching the web. Check out the Features area for a complete list of
> what this project can do for you.
>
> Many thanks to John Goerzen who in 2002(unconfirmed nfo)authored this
> wonderful little piece of code. In Dec-2010 Nicolas Sebrecht took the
> lead as Head Maintainer and OfflineIMAP is stronger than ever before.
> Visit the devs section to learn more about the people who make this
> project tick.
> ---------------content end----------

Not bad, although a bit too much boasting for my taste :-). Can't we
reuse bits from the documentation that state what OfflineImap is?

I would love to see a short section: "What can OfflineImap do for me?"
in which we outline some typical use cases. Not necessarily at the top
of the start page, but linked from somewhere rather prominently.

> <excerpts from pkg current status, current bugs...etc.> linked from pkg
> section, probably downloads which is actually github repo.

I think current stable release links (and links to distro's pages of
offlineimap) would be nice, yep. Also downloads to more current
snapshots and the git repository info. This might belong on a page of
its own, but I like it when OSS projects have easy to discover download
links :).

> <excerpts from dev blog - hopefully Nicolas and others will blog ;-)>

hehe, I am not so sure we are big and active enough to warrant a blog,
but some news section *could* be nice. ALthough there is nothing worse
than an OSS project whose latest news entry is 2-3 years old.

I would love to have a section where people can contribute and collect
use cases and configuration examples and stuff ("how to create your own
CA cert etc").