offlineimap.org, dev testing area and more...

Philippe LeCavalier support at plecavalier.com
Tue Jan 25 14:31:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 13:34 +0100, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:17:50 +0100, Zoran Zaric <lists at zoranzaric.de> wrote:
> > I'd like to throw in GitHub's pages feature [1].  Combined with organizations
> > [2], which are free for open source projects, this should meet all requirements:
> >
> >   - contributions can easily be made via pull requests
> >   - the domain can be pointed at it using a CNAME record [3]
> >   - it's free as in beer
> >   - the code is hosted on GitHub so obviously we trust them
>
> Right, I knew about the pages feature but didn't know that a CNAME entry
> can point to it. That would indeed be a good possibility to have a
> git-hosted www repository.
>
> Of course, it would mean static html and preclude us from wordpress and
> whatnot (which I am not sure we would be needing).
> Philippe what do you say? This would mean we don't have to set
> up/provide any infrastructure ourselves at all...
I'm all for it. My initial feeling about plain html content was one of
disappointment but I think we can make it look good nonetheless. We
still haven't had anyone come forth to design so we may very well be
forced to go somewhat 'plain-jane' anyways...

This strategy is clearly not my area of expertise but I'm excited and am
looking forward to learning how to work on a site in this manner. That
said, who here is confident enough with this technique to provide a set
of instructions? or perhaps, to start with, a working plan...Honestly
I'm not 100$ clear on the details of doing this.

Phil