SSL3_WRITE_PENDING error...

Ethan Schoonover es at ethanschoonover.com
Thu Jan 27 20:37:15 UTC 2011

I've been running offlineimap with a limited maxage for some time and
just decided to remove that limitation and pull down the entire gmail
account in question (not a large one, 1.1GB).

Running on OSX, Python 2.6.1 with Interactive.basic to monitor
progress, things went well for quite a white (10 min?) before I hit a
wall with a string of errors:

WARNING: ERROR attempting to copy message 4272 for account
gmail:socket error: [Errno 1] _ssl.c:1209: error:1409F07F:SSL
routines:SSL3_WRITE_PENDING:bad write retry
WARNING: ERROR attempting to sync flags for account gmail:920L

I get a couple hundred of those for individual messages before
offlineimap hangs. Restarting results in some success for a minute
followed by the same wall of errors/hang.

Arch Linux / Python 2.7.1 works out much better (only the occasional
"classic" silent offlineimap hang at high CPU, but that's not
unusual).

I'm going to troubleshoot here, but curious if anyone else has seen
this or has an "aha I know what that is" idea. I'm out of my depth on
SSL related matters.

Ethan Schoonover
es at ethanschoonover.com
http://ethanschoonover.com