New patch series upcoming for the GUI changes

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Thu Jan 6 19:53:31 GMT 2011

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 12:08:15PM +0100, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 19:38:03 +0100, Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net> wrote:
> > I've merged the patches 2, 3 and 4/5 into next.
> > Patch 5/5 relies on 1/5.
> >
> > Patch 1/5 is pending for the John's review.
> > Patch 5/5 is ok, but will be delayed until the next major release (API changing).
>
> Sounds reasonable, thanks. As I said, Patch 1 replaces the content of
> the file, so technically the copyright is gone.

Ok, I see your point now. But you're wrong, the patch should be
clear enough to prove you the whole content was not removed.

>                                                 If you want to edit the
> patch to keep John in there, I wouldn't mind though. I rather give too
> much than too little credit.

I'll wait a bit more for a response from John. Otherwise, I'll rewind
the patch later.

> Once the patches are in, I will work on the single-thread series.
>
> Just FYI, my next plans are (as time allows):
>
> - optional single threading (better debugging)
> - optional and experimental LocalStatus as sqlite db (faster sync)
> - Allow 1-way syncing (safer syncing)
> - improve SSL CA cert checking and configure options, ie host checking
>   (security)
> - add "accept the hosts SSL certificate permanently" option. (security)
> - Restart work on a test suite (reliability tests)
> - General sync strategy improvements and code cleanups (speed and robustness)
> - Code documentation system (easier code overview and hackability)
> - Robustness checks (abort network connection during sync etc) (robustness)
> - Examine GMail weirdness (improved interoperability)

I think security issues should come first, but feel free to do whatever
you'd like, of course? :-)

What about the tests suites?

I guess you have seen the recent issues about the ssl certificate check
failing (probably due to hostname with subdomains). ,-p