Singlethreading patch series

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Mon Jan 10 19:11:41 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:00:17AM +0100, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:

> I split the patches to be smaller and more self-contained and improved
> the commit messages. While I had to touch the one "except:" part in
> LocalStatus.py that we previously talked about, I decided to do
> completely away with the Exception catching.

It does look like the "catch strategy" should be a seperated topic out
of the "Singlethreading" topic.

>  Don't sync accounts in subthreads when:
>      1) option singlethreading has been chosen
>      2) There is only 1 account to sync
>      3) maxacountsync setting is 1 (default)
>
> Nicolas had asked about this and "singlethreading" is slightly misleading
> here, as each account can still be synced in a multithreaded fashion in
> cases 2 and 3).
>
> I improved the commit message to say:
>     Do note that in cases 2) and 3) each account will still be synced in
>     multithreaded fashion (within the account), we will just not spawn
>     separate threads to launch and supervise the account synchronization.
>
> However, whether we really want to use "account single threading" in
> cases 2) and 3) is open to debate. I would be perfectly fine if we only
> used it in the 1) case.

I think this is going much better. Why would we need Singlethreading
if not for debugging?

The last change would be to make the Singlethreading option the default
in debug mode (if not already done).