More details on folder translator function

Philippe LeCavalier support at plecavalier.com
Tue Jan 18 15:58:44 GMT 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 22:26 +0100, Thomas Kahle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09:47 Fri 14 Jan     , Philippe LeCavalier wrote:
> > Hi. I hope you don't mind me cc'ing the list on this. I think it could
> > useful.
>
> Sure, actually I tend to forget that the offlineimap list is not
> configured to hijack reply-to.
>
> > After working with your guide for a day or so I think I may have a few
> > 'misconceptions'. If I have this right...
> > > import re
> > > def oimaptransfolder_acc1(foldername):
> > >     if(foldername == "INBOX"):
> > >         retval = "acc1"
> > this part is simply stating to olimap replace INBOX with acc1? When I
> > change acc1 to what I want(an existing folder within my Maildir) it
> > doesn't bring in mail from the INBOX on the IMAP server to the specified
> > folder. There's a slight chance this might be an MUA issue since
> > Evolution requires the user to point to the Maildir root and names that
> > folder Inbox. But I would think that despite that offlineimap would
> > still bring the mail into that folder nonetheless and I would see it.
>
> Remotely it looks like this
>
> INBOX
> folder1
> folder2
>
> locally it looks like this:
>
> acc1
> acc1.folder1
> acc1.folder2
Oh! I see. So you're not doing what I thought you were. Although, I
think I can still work off of your example. I'm pulling from two
separate IAMP servers to my IMAP server and then syncing to maildir. For
starters I'm only pulling from one to the other to keep it as simple as
possible. SO what I need to figure out is:

srcIMAP1 (cyrus IMAP)
INBOX
folder1
folder2

srcIMAP2 (cyrus IMAP)
INBOX
folder3
folder4

destIMAP (me, courier IMAP)
INBOX
client1
client1.INBOX
client1.INBOX.folder1
client1.INBOX.folder2
client2
client2.INBOX
client2.INBOX.folder3
client2.INBOX.folder4
many
many.other
many.other.folders

> Since the dot is not a folder separator, everything lives in the same
> level of the directory tree.  If evolution wants the maildir root to be
> INBOX, then the other folders have to go to subdirectories and you
> actually have to put in slashs, right.
>
> > >     else:
> > >         retval = "acc1." + foldername
> > this part tells it that for every subfolder of acc1 add a prefix of
> > 'acc1.'
> > >     retval = re.sub("/", ".", retval)
> > and this is for swapping Cyrus separator from / to . ?
> > In my case I'm using Evo so if the above is correct I would need to do
> > the exact opposite because Evo want a forward slash as the separator.
> > What's confusing me in this case is that my mail is being pulled from a
> > Courier server and the other account is on Cyrus so I think I might need
> > to state this separately maybe?
>
> You are right about Evolution, but I don't really get the rest of the
> question.  You should try to identify what's the argument of the
> function and then adjust the function appropriately.  In my case the
> function is called with either
In your case my question no longer makes sense(I think) since the dots
and slashes aren't acting as separators.

> INBOX
> or
> folder1
> or
> folder2
>
> If folder1 had a subfolder called folder1a then the function would be
> called with 'folder1/folder1a' and the replacement flattens the
> directory structure.
>
> I hope this makes sense.
I think so...your saying it would translate to: folder1.folder1a

Thanks,
Phil