Server diagnostics implemented

Fri Jul 1 07:15:54 UTC 2011

> Good idea. This would need a new FAQ information so that users send this
> while sending bug requests.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. A FAQ entry or a "How to report bugs"
section in the manual.

> I don't think we use any kind of <ACTION> parameter like that. I would
> expect the option --diagnostics with the two dashes.
>
> Now, Gentoo uses the --info for the emerge program and I find that name
> more natural.

Right, I was thinking about what parameter to use. I don't care if it's
--diags or --info. Either sounds fine to me.

> Also, I hope the -a option is optionnal. ,-)

It currently gives info for all servers that it would sync. So if you
limit it with -a accoutname, it outputs info for that account name. If
you drop the -a it will output info for all servers that it would sync.

> >  OfflineIMAP 6.3.4-rc2
>
> > Copyright (C) 2002 - 2010 John Goerzen <john at complete.org>
> >
> > This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see the file
> > COPYING for details.  This is free software, and you are welcome
> > to distribute it under the conditions laid out in COPYING.
>
> Would be nice to shoot out the copyright here as I would expect users
> to send it on each request.

Yes, it would. Unfortunately the copyright is automatically included in
the ui.init_banner() method which is called really early and which
"inititializes" the various UI stuff, so it was not trivial to remove
this. We could do that in a later iteration... OR... if I may be so
provocative... we could ditch a part of this text on normal running
too. We can still output the copyright and warranty blurb on --help and
we have it in all our docs too. I am not sure we need a 7 line blurb on
EACH invocation of the app. I am no GPL expert, and I believe the
recommend to output such a blurb, but it's not strictly required. I'd be
happy with a simple:

OfflineIMAP 6.3.4-rc2; see --help for details

or even just a:

OfflineIMAP 6.3.4-rc2

blurb on app invocation.