[Imaplib2-devel] STARTTLS and certificates Re:[ANNOUNCE] OfflineIMAP v6.3.4-rc3 released

chris coleman christocoleman at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 11:15:59 UTC 2011

>On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 12:49:02 +1000, Piers Lauder wrote:

>> That looks identical to the default imaplib2 open_socket except for the setsockopt.
>
>Ohh, that is good news, will need to look into what we can drop from
>offlineimap then.
>
>> Would it be enough if I just added the KEEP_ALIVE before the wrap_socket?
>
>Yeah, I think we found that gmail would drop sockets if we didn't send
>keepalive pings and that's why this has been added. I think just adding
>it before wrap_socket should be fine.
>
>Sebastian

Removing socket details from offlineimap and letting imaplib2 deal with them, tells me that development is definitely moving in the right direction.

Because I feel imaplib2 should totally encapsulate the details of talking IMAP protocol over sockets to the server.

offlineimap should simply encapsulate the script procedure to automate and "drive" imaplib2 and the local status database engine.

To make this possible, imaplib2 should offer a clean interface that allows offlineimap to run its message-copying algorithm, without exposing too much detailed information about the IMAP protocol or sockets.  And we should still succeed under virtually all network and imap server conditions.

In fact, we should be able to write out, in plain english, the complete algorithm for offlineimap, totally independent of the imap library and the local status database library.

Doing so would probably shine light on previously unknown bugs, and on more opportunities to factor out IMAP protocol and socket code from offlineimap into imaplib2.

Chris