Gmail and chats (was: Re: One way to reproduce this)

Rogério Brito rbrito at ime.usp.br
Wed Jul 20 06:13:30 UTC 2011

Hi.

I am just adding some information, as I was perusing the offlineimap mailing
list and found a reference to this e-mail of mine.

On Sep 09 2010, Rogério Brito wrote:
> I think that I found one way to reproduce this in a way that would
> serve for debugging purposes:
>
> With a gmail account, if you are trying to upload to the gmail servers
> an "e-mail" that is a chat of theirs, then they will refuse the upload
> (tested also with mutt and icedove). The most informative message of
> the programs is displayed by mutt. Icedove informs that the server
> didn't like something, and offlineimap just bombs with a stack trace,
> instead of having better error handling.

For the record, one of the things that I've seen that sets a gmail chat
apart from others is some kind of marking with the headers:

Once I removed those from an offending message, I could reupload the
messages to gmail.

Perhaps for users that know what they are doing we could have a dangerous
option to the repository settings like:

   mangle_my_gmail_chat_logs = "I know what I am doing"

This is an admitted kludge, but a middle ground workaround for a
non-standard IMAP system that is gmail in the first place...

Regards,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de