Problem syncing mail - crash

Knut Anders Hatlen knut.hatlen at oracle.com
Wed Jul 20 19:16:04 UTC 2011

Vladimir Marek <Vladimir.Marek at Oracle.COM> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Up till now I have been syncing mail from IMAP to Maildir. But now I
> pointed mutt to the Maildir, did some work and wanted to sync my changes
> back to IMAP. And I am getting this crash:
>
> Folder sync [Oracle]: WARNING: ERROR in syncfolder for Oracle folder bugster: Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/net/snvx.cz.oracle.com/builds/vm156888/offlineimap/offlineimap/accounts.py", line 355, in syncfolder
>     localfolder.syncmessagesto(remotefolder, statusfolder)
>   File "/net/snvx.cz.oracle.com/builds/vm156888/offlineimap/offlineimap/folder/Base.py", line 413, in syncmessagesto
>     action(dstfolder, statusfolder)
>   File "/net/snvx.cz.oracle.com/builds/vm156888/offlineimap/offlineimap/folder/Base.py", line 310, in syncmessagesto_copy
>     self.copymessageto(uid, dstfolder, statusfolder, register = 0)
>   File "/net/snvx.cz.oracle.com/builds/vm156888/offlineimap/offlineimap/folder/Base.py", line 272, in copymessageto
>     newuid))
> UserWarning: Trying to save msg (uid -1) on folder bugster returned invalid uid 0

Hi Vladimir,

I'm seeing the same error when I use the latest rc and the next branch,
syncing with the same IMAP server as you. It happens consistently if a
new message has been created or copied/moved locally. I haven't had time
to look into it yet, but I just thought I'd mention that I haven't had
this problem with version 6.3.2.1, which I've used for a long time, so
it appears to be a new problem.

> I'm attaching reduced and censored log.
>
> From the code it seems that our IMAP server is missing APPENDUID. It
> seems to add some random "X-OfflineIMAP" header to the message.

Probably completely unrelated, but in case it matters... I've noticed
that the X-OfflineIMAP very often seems to get garbled (also with the
older versions that have been working fine for me). Take for example
these lines from the log you posted:

	by default (Oracle Beehive Gateway v4.0)
	with ESMTP ; Thu...

Here, the X-OfflineIMAP header has been placed in the middle of a
Received header, so the second and third line of the Received header
become extra junk at the end of the X-OfflineIMAP header.

--
Knut Anders