Bugreport: maxage deleting old email from destination

Vladimir Marek Vladimir.Marek at Oracle.COM
Fri Jul 29 12:38:06 UTC 2011

Hi,

[...]

> As a conclusion, the idea behind offlineimap is great, but
> unfortunately the software is extremely unrealiable and we will be
> working to build a system that avoids imap-to-imap syncronisations to
> avoid using offlineimap at all.

I can't speak for the developers here, but if you red the license, it
contains this part:

    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the

> Mostly that's gmails's fault I suspect, but it's too expensive to
> support this system currently, so we are dumping both gmail and
> offlineimap.

I understand your frustration. I have been there and done that many
times :) The fact is nothing in life is for free.

You may start to learn python and IMAP and start asking Gmail why it
does what it does. Or you may pay expert on doing that. Or you may pay
by waiting till someone has a time to start investigate. Or you may try
to find commercial product which will suit you better. There are no hard
feelings about that, it's just question of priorities and how much are
you willing to pay for the service.

If you are going away from offlineimap, I'm sure it will make the
developers sad in their heart, because everyone wants to be proud of his
product. But please remember, we are just people too (which is hard to
believe sometimes :)). And we want to be with our families and we need
to work for food. I don't know about others, but I have to sleep during
night too :)

If you want to help us though, I'm sure that the people will be able to
give you starting points on how to do that. Since you seem to be facing
several issues (I'm sorry to hear that), it would be great if you could
find smallest reproducible case (maybe only one message in mailbox and
instruct offlineimap to sync just that one maibox?) for each problem and
share the logs with us (beware, the logs can contain passwords and other
sensitive information, so you may want to censor those). Also for each
problem please describe _what_ is the output and _what_ and _why_ you
think should be the output. Or maybe you could create new gmail account
for which you could share the login with us?

If we will find out the problem and correct it together, it will help
others too. And one day they might help you the same way. Plus you'll
learn new stuff. The risk is that we'll find out that we can't fix the
problem for any reason.

If you find other solution to your problem, I would like to hear that
too.

As I'm just shortly with this project, I have to stress that I can't
speak in behalf of others.

Cheers
--
	Vlad