[Imaplib2-devel] HEUREKA, Missing mails log snippet (found it)

Piers Lauder piers at janeelix.com
Thu Jun 9 00:58:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:25:37 +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:

  > On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 16:38:37 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
  > > Hi Sebastian,
  > >
  > > great Work! Is this behaviour specified in some RFC or is it the
  > > mailservers fault?
  >
  > Well, the RFCs are certainly fuzzy enough to not specify it precisely,
  > although my interpretation of the FETCH description on page 53 of
  > http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/rfc/rfc3501.txt and the example given
  > therein does not seem to allow interspersed replies.
  >
  > So, I would say it is something we should not necessarily expect, but
  > I've given up on expecting anything from IMAP servers, and we should
  > still try to cope with it. Technically, an OK, NO, or BAD signals the
  > end of the response, I guess, so I would wager, it is not allowed.

That was my original interpretation also. But I've been bitten by
IMAP4 servers behaving badly before, so should have learnt my lesson by
now. I guess there will always be some marginally illegal behaviour
one can't imagine.

Anyway, at least there's a straightforward fix in this case which I'm
fairly certain won't break anything else. At least all my testing so
far has come back ok.

I suggest installing it asap. running your usual test suite, and then
getting it out there - this particular user certainly needs it!

Piers.