Just getting started. Why will IMAP <-> IMAP sync only do INBOX?

Wed Jun 15 19:58:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:26:59 +0000 (UTC), Christian Leue wrote:
> can you please help me get started with this fascinating tool?

Welcome.

> I am trying to
> sync a Dovecot IMAP box with a Courier IMAP box.  The INBOX gets synced without
> problems, but not the other folders even though, if I read properly,
> "folderfilter = lambda foldername: 1" should do all folders?

1) In your case, you do not need a folderfilter setting at all as you don't
want to filter any folders. 2) a lambda foldername: 1 always returns
True so you can just leave it away with the same effect.

3) https://github.com/nicolas33/offlineimap/blob/master/docs/FAQ.rst
section 1.1.6

OfflineImap will never delete folders on either REMOTE or LOCAL imap
server. And it will never create folders on the REMOTE
repository. However, it will happily sync both ways if folders exist on
boths sides, and it will create folders automatically on the LOCAL side
if needed.

Seeing your folder list (thanks for that, very helpful), I suspect that
the REMOTE imap repository is the Courier with only the INBOX
folder. That's why it also only syncs the INBOX, it won't automatically
create those folders on the other side. However, when you manually
create a folder "Deleted Messages"and "Notes" on Dovecot, it should be
syncing whatever it needs to sync in both ways.

Hope that helps.

We really should point out more prominently somewhere how folder
creation works.